Baking again. It’s been a long long while. Someone even asked me if I had stopped eating. Of course not. I just got a little burnt out or wasn’t compelled and I wasn’t sure of my direction with Herbivore Whore. So we’ll see. For now,
Strawberry Muffins with a Side of Creme
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/2 c gluten-free flour
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown rice syrup
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 c non-dairy milk (I used chocolate coconut milk ***)
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 c fresh strawberries (chopped)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tins.
2) In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
3) Add wet ingredients to dry mixture. Be careful not to overmix.
4) Add strawberries and mix just enough to incorporate them. You want them to stay chunky.
5) Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins.
6) Bake 15 min.
7) Cool and serve with a side of creme!
***I don’t recommend chocolate coconut milk by itself, but it was the only non-dairy milk I had in my refrigerator.
It’s Cherry Picking Season!! So my sister and I went to Maggiore Cherry Ranch in Brentwood and got a whole bucket full of them. And since it’s also Memorial Day weekend and my best man friend is having a birthday celebration in his backyard, I decided to make a Cherry Streudel.
1 defrosted puff pastry
3 tbsps sugar
1 1/2 tbsps all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
2-3 handfuls of halved and pitted cherries
2 tbsps Earth Balance, melted
Sugar, for sanding
1) Defrost the puff pastry according to package directions.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3) Combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Toss the prepared cherries with the dry mixture.
4) Unfold the puff pastry out flat.
5) Place the cherries in a line down the center.
6) Fold the dough over and tuck in the ends.
7) Brush the streudel with melted margarine and sand generously with sugar.
8) Using a serrated knife, make several diagonal slashes in the streudel.
9) Bake for 35 minutes until golden. Let it cool before serving.
*Adapted from the Apple Streudel by Vegan Yum Yum. Really, the possibilities are endless!